Saturday, May 16, 2009

Let Me Explain...

I’ve retitled my blog several times. Unfortunately, it has had a few uninteresting and uncreative names. But I love the name “Impressions” for several reasons.

First, one of the greatest novels in the history of the world, Pride and Prejudice, was originally titled First Impressions, which I love, because the book explores the consequences of judging people’s character based on first impressions, which are often incorrect!

Second, when Claude Monet was criticized for giving his paintings monotonous titles (Entry into the Village, Morning in the Village, etc.…), he said “Just put ‘Impression.’” Monet’s interest was in reflecting his visual perception of nature…his impression of things.

So, there you go. That's how I came up with the title "Impressions." And really...that's exactly what my blog is about. I love that the title “Impressions” references both Austen and Monet…literature and paintings…books and art…things that I love with all my heart.

No comments: