Tuesday, May 19, 2009

MEMO

TO: Men of Orange County, California...and the world

FROM: Lisa Birle, fashion-concerned citizen
DATE: 19 May 2009

SUBJECT: Clothing Suggestion

It has come to my attention that many males do not put much effort into their clothing. In the eloquent words of Cher Horowitz from the 1995 film Clueless, "So okay, I don't want to be a traitor to my generation and all but I don't get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair - ew - and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we're expected to swoon? I don't think so."
I understand that fashion is less of a concern for men than women. However, I find it difficult to accept the fact that society's standards dictate that females must dress in a way that often requires much preparation, effort, and sometimes an elevated level of discomfort. Men, however, adhere to much lower standards when it comes to looking good and choosing what to wear; comfort, mobility, and just plain cleanliness are often the only criteria that dictate their fashion choices.

Might I call upon you to try something new, XYs? I know this might seem far-fetched. I know that this might be a big step for you. I know you might not be able to find these items at Abercrombie or Target. But...have you ever considered sporting an ascot or cravat? They are quite dashing, you know. Chuck Bass wears ascots when he plays basketball. (I mean, yeah...he's a fictional character. But that's not the point.) I'm not asking you to wear one while playing basketball. But what about at a night to the theater? During tea? While playing cricket?
Oh, wait. That's right. This is 2009. And Orange County.
But still...they just look so good!

Here are some examples of cravats and ascots. (Oh, and I can help you tie an ascot if you need it.)
And yes, I've noticed that some of these photos are of movie characters based on 19th-Century English literature. And no, that does not stop me from asking you to mimic their fashion choices.
Velvet...nice, J.T....nice.
Mr. Darcy. He's the best.
Becks...looking good, as always.He looks like he's going to kick ascot...
Only Johnny Depp can pull a look like this off...
Love James McAvoy in "Becoming Jane."

I mean, come on.

Hoping you'll consider my proposition...

Regards,

Lisa

3 comments:

Megan said...

you are cute.

David Hughes said...

dangit...i was about to comment something like "nice memo format" so you'd be proud I know all about memo format...but then i realized that memo is the title...

you're just gonna have to believe me...that is called faith, lisa...and i know you can do it.

anyway...my obvious response to this is "hahahahahahahahahahahaha"

if anything i should write a response blog about the song travis and i made up yesterday called "finals girl" which is about how during finals week boys look exactly the same and girls look like trainwrecks...and they always rock their "finals sweats" to show that "they just don't even care" because it's finals...

you are precious, lisa. and i <3 you

unfortunately, you are very off in a few key categories:

1. continent
2. gender
3. time period

yazz said...

Dear Lisa,

I love this.

Love,
Yazz