Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm Yours

Dear Jason Mraz,

I know you screwed up. And screwing up is okay...just not when your mistake is recorded on an album that I listen to every single day of my life. I mean, did you think I wouldn't notice?

I love the song "I'm Yours." In fact, I probably sing along to it two or three times a day in my car. Loudly. I enjoy the carefree, summery feel of the song and singing the word "love" over and over again. But I absolutely hate hearing...

"It's our God-forsaken right to be loved..."

I know you meant "God-intended right." After all, those were the words you used when you performed the song on SNL (I liked the straw fedora you wore on the show, by the way. I'm looking for something similar.).

So, my question is...why didn't you record the song with the proper lyrics? Laziness? Time or money constraints? Indifference? Would you think no one would notice? Because that screwed-up sentence dramatically changes the sentiment of the message you are trying to communicate with the rest of the song. "God-forsaken" would imply that our right to be loved has been abandoned by God. And we all know that you cannot separate God and love; that's just silly.

I mean, I still like you and all. I'm just letting you know...I notice these things.

I'm Yours,

Lisa

1 comment:

Mark Dodd said...

i have a couple things to say in response to this:
1) Jason Mraz has no idea what any of his lyrics mean because most of them aren't even words.
2) Even if he did, he could be making a one-time lyrical change to make a statement of natural rights without the idea of a God.

This has been "Food For Thought and Cynical Views on Average Pop Musicians With Mark Dodd." I hope to see you soon.