1) What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I wrote 398 thank-you notes, went to the NAMM Show, got a spray tan—twice!, cried like a teeny little girl when I saw Taylor Swift in concert, became obsessed with macarons, had a real date on Valentine’s Day, met Tina Fey, was a bridesmaid—twice!, discovered an affinity for books about disgusting diseases (the plague, scurvy, Ebola), became an official contributor to collegeministry.com, finally saw the David in Florence, started regularly using coupons, discovered my not-so-inner prepster, stayed up all night watching the Royal Wedding, opened a present nearly every day of the month of December, and chopped off my hair on a whim. Good stuff!!
2) Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm not really into making resolutions. Generally speaking, I strive to live a life that reflects the character of Jesus to people, contribute to the lives of others in a positive and meaningful way, be a productive person and constant learner, always have a grateful heart, and continually cultivate my interests.
3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Brad and Carrie welcomed Eli Benjamin!
4) Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year.
5) What countries did you visit?
Italy!! And Germany, just for layovers. Does that count? I bought Haribo gummy bears.
6) What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
REINDEER ANTLERS FOR THE COROLLA. I couldn’t find them anywhere! But really…just more wisdom, patience, and understanding. Nothing huge. Ha.
7) What date(s) from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 1st—Nathan surprised me with 25 days of Christmas presents. June 13th marked our 1-year. And December 13th because it was my last birthday that started with a 2 (I turned 29…yikes).
8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
This year, I took on some extra responsibilities and God definitely stretched me through them. It’s not an achievement, but by his grace and the grace of others, that I was able to learn a lot and have fun through some challenges that I was not anticipating.
9) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Aside from some back pain and an infection here and there…I was relatively healthy this year!
10) What was the best thing you bought?
I really liked the Christmas presents I bought for my parents—a travel book and a sparkly armadillo ornament for my dad (his name is Enrique—the armadillo, not my dad), and a mani/pedi for my mom (her first ever—we had fun!). I also bought a really pretty cameo ring and a linen scarf in Italy and feel pretty good about it.
11) Whose behavior merited celebration?
Anyone who sacrificed something of themselves for the benefit of someone else and without asking for reward or recognition merits celebration in my book. (Specifically, I'd like to celebrate pastors wives this year, and all the sacrifices that they make to support their husbands’ ministries.)
12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Ignorance mixed with pride and zeal is hard for me to tolerate.
13) Where did most of your money go?
I think I left it in Italy…along with my heart.
14) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I am really great at anticipating things…so I got really excited about a lot of stuff this year. Whether it’s ice cream or a great trip, I’m excited about it!
15) What song will always remind you of 2011?
Rolling in the Deep by Adele. Oh, girl…
16) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? Yes. Healthier? Yes. Richer? In many ways.
17) What do you wish you'd done more of?
I really wish I had read more books. That’s definitely something I will do more of in 2012.
18) What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worried and over-analyzed, per usual.
19) How did you spend Christmas?
Church and Claim Jumper for dinner and gifts with my family and Nate on Christmas Eve. Christmas lunch at Nate’s house on Christmas Day. Sherlock Holmes on Christmas night.
20) Did you fall in love in 2011?
I fell in love in 2010…and am still falling…
21) What was your favorite TV program?
Toddlers & Tiaras, Extreme Couponing, and Hoarding: Buried Alive. I love TLC…people are so weird and fascinating, aren’t they?!
22) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone.
23) What was the best book you read?
I loved The Help and read some super funny books by Sloane Crosley.
24) What was your greatest musical discovery?
I pretty much listened to the same stuff I did last year...no noteworthy discoveries.
25) What did you want and get?
Clear skin again…phew!
26) What did you want and not get?
I am more than content!
27) What was your favorite film of this year?
The best film this year was FOOTLOOSE. Okay, so it wasn’t a good movie, but I LOVED it! The best real movie I saw was definitely Midnight in Paris.
28) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 and took the day off work to sleep in, get Starbucks, and walk around Tiffany’s and South Coast Plaza by myself—it was wonderful and relaxing. Then Nate took me out to dinner and coffees. It was perfect.
29) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
I was very happy to see the Muppets make a comeback. They’re my favorite celebrities.
30) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I love and live in jeans, blazers, and fake pearls.
31) What kept you sane?
Family, friends, Nate, co-workers, and God.
32) Who did you miss?
I miss my faraway friends.
33) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
When lacking inspiration, log on to Pinterest.
34) What did you gain this year?
Confidence in Christ.
35) What did you lose this year?
A little more insecurity.
36) Who was the best new person you met?
Definitely Crave’s newest intern, Cody. He’s the best!!
37) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Just listen to the song...
Happy New Year!