Sunday, March 29, 2009

...put your mind to it, go for it, get down and break a sweat...

So...here's the thing. I am not a huge fan of running. Actually, let's just avoid all euphamisms: I hate running. If I'm not being chased by a rabid dog or a murderer with a cleaver, I'm generally not going to run. I'm a water sports kind of girl. I swam competitively for over ten years. Working out in a clean, cool pool is the best--you can't feel the sweat, burn a ton of calories, get cardio and resistance training in one workout, it's low-impact on joints, and, oh yeah, it's fun!

But once in a while when I don't have time to get to the pool, I'll run a few miles. I always forget, though, just how much I hate running until I feel like my burning shins are going to shatter right from under me with each step, my face turns red as a tomato and feels like it's on fire, and I'm dripping with sweat like my Turkish linguistics professor at UCI used to during lectures. (He was really into syntax...what can I say?) I think to myself that any sort of exercise that is this miserable and difficult should warrant an instant ten-pound weight loss...instant.

And it never does. And that's why running disappoints me.

But I'm not going to give up. (My new shoes were too expensive.)

No comments: