Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010: The Year in Review

The end-of-the-year survey tradition continues for a third year (for last year's go here).

1) What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
I went on a road trip with my best friend, had breakfast at Tiffany’s, hung out in a tattoo parlor in Haight Ashbury, enjoyed some fine dining at Club 33, finally visited Catalina, and got my first ticket ever (for running a red light).

2) Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm not really into making resolutions anymore. Generally speaking, I strive to live a life that reflects the character of Jesus to people, contribute to the lives of others in a positive and meaningful way, be a productive person and constant learner, always have a grateful heart, and continually cultivate my interests.

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Steve and Nicole!

4) Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year.

5) What countries did you visit?
Travels were kept domestic this year. I took some fun trips to Portland, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and New York.

6) What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A couple of stamps in my fresh new passport. It’s going to happen!!

7) What date(s) from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Halloween in San Francisco was a great memory. And June 13th was the start of something new (cue the High School Musical song...).

8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I finally weaned myself off of my daily soda-drinking habit this year, which I’m glad about.

9) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes. It sucked.

10) What was the best thing you bought?
Books…always books. (At two of the best bookstores in the country, I might add…)

11) Whose behavior merited celebration?
Anyone who sacrificed something of themselves for the benefit of someone else and without asking for reward or recognition merits celebration in my book. (Specifically, I'd like to celebrate teachers this year, and encourage you to watch the documentary Waiting for Superman.)

12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most of the fame-mongering, greedy, and just plain obnoxious people on reality TV.

13) Where did most of your money go?
Probably to Starbucks...a true vice. Next year I'll be better. (Oh, who am I kidding? I said that last year…)

14) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Seeing Starry Night at MoMA in NYC. I wanted to touch it so bad, and stared at it forever and tried walking away, but kept turning back to it. It took about four or five attempts to finally walk away from it…

15) What song will always remind you of 2010?
Dear John by Taylor Swift. I feel like he broke my heart, too.

16) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? Yes. Healthier? No. Richer? In many ways.

17) What do you wish you'd done more of?
Read, studied, traveled, and blogged...the things I can never do 'enough' of.

18) What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worried and over-analyzed, per usual.

19) How did you spend Christmas?
Church, Claim Jumper, and gifts with my family on Christmas Eve. Sleeping, reading, and hanging out on Christmas Day. Hanging out with Nathan on Christmas night.

20) Did you fall in love in 2010?
You know…I think I did…

21) What was your favorite TV program?
LOST, Gossip Girl, and 30 Rock.

22) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone.

23) What was the best book you read?
Water for Elephants and Zeitoun.

24) What was your greatest musical discovery?
I pretty much listen to the same stuff I did last year...no noteworthy discoveries.

25) What did you want and get?
My trip to NYC to visit a dear friend finally happened after years of planning and anticipation.

26) What did you want and not get?
I am content.

27) What was your favorite film of this year?
Tangled, 127 Hours, Harry Potter, and Eclipse.

28) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 and did a lot of celebrating with cherished friends. On my actual birthday I took a final exam, then went out to lunch and Disneyland (to eat pink ice cream).

29) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
Bruce Jenner, my favorite 'Kardashian.' He just makes me laugh.

30) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
I wear what I feel like wearing, which I am aware allows for some major hits and misses.

31) What kept you sane?
Family, friends, Nate, co-workers, and God.

32) Who did you miss?
I miss my faraway friends so, so much.

33) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Romans 12 and Hebrews 12 are full of lessons I learned in 2010, and am still learning…

34) What did you gain this year?
Confidence in Christ.

35) What did you lose this year?
A little more insecurity.

36) Who was the best new person you met?
Kylie and Nathers.

37) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Just listen to the song...

Happy New Year!

No comments: