Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy New Year!

A few of my friends do an annual end-of-the-year survey, and I thought I'd continue the tradition for a second year. (For last year's, go here.)

1) What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I went on a Peace trip (there were a lot of firsts included in that), got the freaking swine flu, had my writing published, saw the Jonas Brothers in concert, and went dog-sledding in Alaska.

2) Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm not really making any resolutions for next year. Generally speaking, I strive to live a life that reflects the character of Jesus to people, contribute to the lives of others in a positive and meaningful way, be a productive person and constant learner, always have a grateful heart, and continually cultivate my interests.

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sweet friend Taylor!

4) Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year.

5) What countries did you visit?
The Dominican Republic for two weeks. And Canada for a day. (Does that even count?)

6) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I'd love to have a few stamps in my new passport and an "in" to Club 33.

7) What date(s) from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 1--when I came home from the Dominican Republic. It was great to see my family and go to In-N-Out.

8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not sure. I learned a lot! God really bothered me this year (in a good way). I was stretched physically, spiritually, and emotionally. However, none of those things are "achievements"; it's only because of God that I know him better, not because of anything I did or achieved.

9) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than getting kicked in the face by the swine last month, no.

10) What was the best thing you bought?
A subscription to Netflix, for sure.

11) Whose behavior merited celebration?
Anyone who sacrificed something of themselves for the benefit of someone else and without asking for reward or recognition merits celebration in my book. (Specifically, I'd like to celebrate the sacrifice that pastors' wives make!)

12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Reality TV parents.

13) Where did most of your money go?
Probably to Starbucks...a true vice. Next year I'll be better. (Oh, who am I kidding?)

14) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
What don't I get really, really, really excited about?!

15) What song will always remind you of 2009?
I Gotta Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas.

16) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? Definitely. Healthier? In some ways. Richer? In many ways.

17) What do you wish you'd done more of?
Read, studied, and traveled. I don't think I'll ever do any of those things enough for my liking, though.

18) What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worried and over-analyzed.

19) How did you spend Christmas?
Church, Claim Jumper, and gifts with my family on Christmas Eve. Hanging around the house feeling lousy on Christmas Day. And on Christmas Night, I saw Sherlock Holmes with my big brother.

20) Did you fall in love in 2009?
Unless the lovely young men of Gossip Girl count, no.

21) What was your favorite TV program?
LOST, Gossip Girl, Grey's Anatomy, Veronica Mars, and the Soup.

22) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone.

23) What was the best book you read?
Oh, Jane Eyre, hands down. I can't believe I hadn't read it sooner. One of the greatest books ever.

24) What was your greatest musical discovery?
I totally loved Lady Gaga's CD this year. Sue me.

25) What did you want and get?
A fancy tote bag.

26) What did you want and not get?
That coveted trip to NYC still hasn't happened yet. But it will. Oh yes, it will...

27) What was your favorite film of this year?
The Road. Bright Star. Sherlock Holmes. Harry Potter. Julie and Julia. The Young Victoria. Up.

28) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27 and did a lot of celebrating with cherished friends. On my actual birthday I went to Disneyland and had a fancy lunch at the Blue Bayou with my mom...yum!

29) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
Joel McHale. The man just makes me laugh.

30) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
I wear what I feel like wearing.

31) What kept you sane?
My family, friends, co-workers, and God.

32) Who did you miss?
I miss my faraway friends so, so much.

33) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Trusting God: 1. Tough. 2. Not optional.

34) What did you gain this year?
Self-awareness and more confidence.

35) What did you lose this year?
A dress size, surprisingly.

36) Who was the best new person you met?
A lovely Southern belle named Chelsea Collins.

37) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Yay-ay-ay-ay, it's a party in the U.S.A."

Happy New Year!

No comments: