Friday, January 9, 2009

Dang, girl...

My first reading endeavor of 2009 is Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre...and I just want to share this one sentence. I've been bringing this book with me everywhere, waiting for a two or three minute lull in my day so that I can steal a few pages of reading (oh yes, it's that good). When I read this sentence for the first time, I'm pretty sure I put the book down, paused, and sighed...

Jane, in this moment, has just realized that she loves Mr. Rochester, as she looks at him from across the room...but she doesn't think he'll ever love her back...

"...my eyes were drawn involuntarily to his face; I could not keep their lids under control; they would rise, and the irids would fix on him. I looked, and had an acute pleasure in looking--a precious, yet poignant pleasure; pure gold, with a steely point of agony; a pleasure like what the thirst-perishing man might feel who knows the well to which he has crept is poisoned, yet stoops and drinks divine draughts nevertheless."

Oh, Jane...don't confine your fate to heartbreak just yet...