Monday, May 9, 2011

Time to Reflect...

I love TV on DVD. Like, love it. There are no commercials. I get to watch the episodes in order. A Saturday morning marathon of my favorite show always challenges my desire to want to return to civilization or human interaction. I can easily watch a show for hours in my room, alone, with a pink snuggie, perfectly content.

After a morning binge of Grey’s Anatomy one weekend, I had lunch with a friend who mentioned that she had a headache. I immediately diagnosed her in my mind as having a hemorrhage or tumor. I mean, what better person to diagnose her?! I had just come from the operating tables of Seattle Grace Hospital, where I’m doing my residency…

Oh, wait…

It was funny to think that I had attempted to reflect my TV medical knowledge just because I had immersed myself in this world of doctors (not even real doctors!) for hours.

Switching gears, look at what David, a man after God’s own heart, wrote in Psalm 27:4—

One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

I loved this because it made me ask myself why David wanted to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord. That’s what David actively sought. He spent time in God’s presence. He drew upon the truth of the scriptures. He spent time with God. Have you noticed that you reflect the things you pour your time into? Have you ever found your language or habits to be different after hanging out with a certain group of friends? Have you felt your mood change after listening to a certain type of music? Have you ever thought you were a doctor after watching Grey’s Anatomy for four hours?

We reflect the things we pour our time into.

2 Corinthians 3:18 reads: And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the LORDS’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the LORD, who is the spirit.

Our lives, words, and hearts all reflect something. It depends on what we spend our time on, and who we spend our time with. Are you seeking to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord? Do you know him well enough to recognize how beautiful he is?

God is love. He is the source of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control…grace, mercy, justice, security, forgiveness, LIFE…those are the most beautiful things I can think of! What a beautiful God we love, and who loves us! That’s who I want to magnify…that’s whose likeness I want to be transformed into.

My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46

No comments: