Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Be Happy

One of the thing I love about my friend Kylie is how adept she is at asking questions. Girl could have her own talk show. She desires to know and love people, and one of the ways she does that is by asking fun questions that are disarming, yet often provide a portal into deeper conversation.

One day, Kylie asked me, "When are you most happy?" and it really got me thinking. What makes me happy?

Well…there are a lot of things. I mean, I’m a pretty happy person and generally find joy from simple things. I am happy after I make myself work out and let myself use my "good" (read: expensive) shampoo. I'm happy when I hit green lights all the way home. I'm happy when I find a forgotten twenty dollar bill in a pair of dirty jeans that have been scrumpled up on the floor of my room for two weeks. And I'm happy when Disneyland starts selling pink peppermint stick ice cream at Christmastime.

But I don't think I would be capable of experiencing real happiness in life if it was void of relationships. Although I’m an introvert to the core, Kylie reminded me that people are who make me happiest. I'm most happy when Mark, the manager of the Starbucks I frequent, comes out from behind the bar to hand me my tuxedo mocha and give me a hug. I'm most happy when my dad e-mails me that he's "just checking in" because he's thinking about me. I’m most happy when I’m laughing so hard with a friend that tears stream down my face, or when tears of sadness are comforted by a tender hug. Happiness isn't just best experienced when shared with others; others are often the source of life's happiness.

Kylie, the answer is people: I’m most happy when I’m talking with, listening to, learning from, encouraging and being encouraged by, and loving and being loved by people.

What about you? When are you most happy?

1 comment:

Kylie Wikle said...

Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands.

OK, but I love your blog. This makes me happy. and You. I had to make one of these things just to comment this. But you're great...or excellent, distinguished, and remarkable :) LOVE!