Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Disney Dreams...


I remember watching Disney's original Parent Trap from 1961 over and over again when I was a kid and loving everything about it. The twins, Susan and Sharon, were so sophisticated and grown-up for teenagers. I didn't know anyone like them in real life, and they fascinated me. The only thing I had in common with them was that I rocked a bowl haircut, too--but that's enough to bind kindred spirits. This movie made me desperately want to find my long-lost twin, wear white gloves, go to summer camp, and have a matching luggage set. And those British accents...I wanted one of those, too. (How did an elegant New Yorker and a cool California girl have British accents?)

One of my favorite lines in the movie was during the dance at their summer camp, when one of the girls complained about the camp's restrictions on make-up to a boy. She said, “I feel absolutely naked without my lipstick.” Oh, she was so devastatingly blase...I just thought that was the coolest line ever, and I wished so much that I wore lipstick and felt incomplete without it.

I actually do own some lipsticks now, but am sadly not much of a fan. I wish I was though, just so I could say that same line once in a while, with an exquisite little bit of pretension. But let's face it...I'll never be as cool as Susan and Sharon. Only in my dreams...

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

Let's get together YEAH YEAH YEAH, we can have a real good time...
I have never owned a lipstick in my life. Never worn it ever.

Natural beauties don't need it! :)