Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

Last night I saw The Road. You know how much I love the book. I had been anticipating the film's release for a long time, although I was prepared to be disappointed. After all, making a Pulitzer Prize-winning book into a film must be daunting. Would the film do it justice? Well, yes; it actually did. It’s as haunting and unforgettable as the book.

The Road, simply put, is a story about a father and son fighting to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is a conversation the father has with his boy, teaching him to always keep “carrying the fire inside.” He instills hope in his son when it doesn’t make any sense and urges him to never give up. During that conversation, I thought, what is keeping that fire in their hearts from going out? They’re sitting on top of a lifeless planet, starving, and being hunted by the “bad guys,” and yet, they choose to hope. And it turned out, there was a reason for it.

I originally started this post to write something Thanksgivingy. I wanted to list some things I’m thankful for, like peppermint stick ice cream and honest people. But after seeing this movie, I’m just thankful that God has given me hope in something greater than myself or the things of this world. And I’m thankful for my family and friends who bring me comfort and joy, who challenge me, and who love me.

May we be thankful for all the things that ignite the fire of hope in our hearts.

Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

I am thankful for YOU beautiful woman! :)

Tom Bailey said...

I stumbled across your blog and what I read about what you are thankful for matched mine too.

I am glad you created a great thanksgiving by what you were thankful for.

Best regards.