Wednesday, October 21, 2009

American Idle

This weekend I noticed two things. First, people are so mean to each other! I witnessed two people yelling at strangers in public and it was so disheartening. Not okay, Humanity. Not okay.

Second, people are so busy! It seems that everyone is in a hurry right now. Everyone needs to just calm down. Relax. Take a break.

I had such a relaxing weekend. It reminded me of how important rest is! There is nothing healthier or more worthwhile to do with one's time during the weekends than to devote serious study to what Oscar Wilde calls "the great aristocratic art of doing nothing." Why is rest seemingly unattainable? Let's face it: time management is tough. It seems every day of my week quickly and miraculously fills up with things to do: work, small group, swim practice, family stuff, Crave, errands, and hanging out with friends. There are generally things to do all the time...granted; they are often enriching, necessary, or fun things. Rare are the moments to read, relax, renew, rest. To be still.

I count on my weekends to do things that will quiet my churning mind and rest my often weary body. Staying up and watching What Not to Wear and The Soup--fantastic! Sleeping in late--oh, what a luxury! Lounging around in pajamas until 2pm--exquisite! Moseying into Bagels and Brew the last hour that oatmeal is served, not worrying about how long the line is because I have nowhere to go--bliss! Fleeting are those moments of calmness during the week, but I try to make up for them on the weekends. When was the last time you slowed down?

It's useless to rise early and go to bed late, and work your worried fingers to the bone. Don't you know God enjoys giving rest to those he loves? Psalm 127:2.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10.

Relax.

No comments: