Sunday, August 30, 2009

Big Brother, I'm Watching You

When you extend hospitality to Christian brothers and sisters, even when they're strangers, you make the faith visible. 3 John 1:15

Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. Colossians 1:15

1 John 4:8 says that God is love. So, when we love people, we are showing them who Jesus is...we are making the invisible God visible to them. Wow!

Who in your life is God revealing himself to...through you?

My big brother, Kurt, worked at a daycare program for a school district for about four years. He loves kids and they love him. I think it’s because he’s a big kid himself. One of his favorite kids was a bit of an outcast…he had a tough time connecting with others and did not have many friends. Kurt befriended this little guy, but after he graduated elementary school, Kurt never saw him again...that is, until a couple of weeks ago when he ran into him and his mom at In-N-Out. The mother said to Kurt, “You were the only person who was ever nice to my son. I’m so thankful for that.” How simultaneously heartwarming...and heartbreaking.

Kurt is one of the kindest people I know, and I’m not just saying that because he’s my brother. He really makes the world a better place. I wonder if there’s someone in my life who can say, “Hey, thanks for being a friend to me when no one else was…you’ve made a difference in my life.” I hope so...because I want to seek to understand people, seek to be available to them, and seek to reflect Jesus to people...to make the invisible God visible in this world. My brother has a heart that does all of those things so naturally that I doubt he even realizes it!

I’m proud of you and I love you, Kurt!

1 comment:

Michal said...

Such a clever title and such a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing this Lisa.... you are WITHOUT A DOUBT like your brother! You have and continue to make a difference in my life!

Love you,

Mic