Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What If?

I get anxiety once in a while…I worry about stuff that generally does not merit a moment’s concern. My anxiety is never super serious…nothing requiring medication or breathing into a paper lunch bag. It is usually late at night when worry weaves her tangled webs and persuades my better judgment to play the ‘what if’ game. This game, as you may or may not know, is not one that you can win if you have an imagination as fertile as mine. When you can live in your thoughts and think up a million imagined threats to ruin your safety or your plans, you, my friend, will always certainly lose.

Ever imagined that the woods behind your house were filled with violent ax-schlepping men or mentally unhinged felons who specifically prey on girls of your type? If someone’s running late to meet you, does it ever cross your mind that they might have drowned in a lake or were kidnapped by gypsies? And…how does your imagination cross back over the threshold of reality?

I’m not crazy. I just think a lot. Sometimes too much. But I know that in the end, it all works out. Thinking the worst excludes it from happening, anyway. (That’s a sound principle, right?)

I do find comfort knowing that God is in control. I don’t want to sound trite, but really…


The fear of the LORD leads to life; one will sleep at night without danger. Proverbs 19:23


When I am afraid

I will trust in You

In God, whose word I praise,

In God I trust; I will not fear.

What can man do to me?

Psalm 56: 3-4

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

Remember Phil 4:6

and then remember that pitchers and catchers report this weekend!

life is good