Monday, February 23, 2009

And the Winner Is....

...not me. I only predicted seven correct winners out of eleven categories. That's, like, a D. I suck. However, I picked who should have won, so there you go. And I still have some things to say about the Oscars. Here are some of my Oscar-vations...(that's Oscars + observations...get it?):

1. Why did Milk get so much critical acclaim, and even some Oscars, while Penn's film Into the Wild got the shaft last year? I know that he is a brilliant filmmaker, and although I did not see Milk, I know it can't be better than Into the Wild. That film is one of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen. Emile Hirsch was haunting and captivating as Chris McCandless...and...no Oscars. Are Penn's awards all because of politics?

2. I loved how 'young' the Oscars were this year. Seeing Miley in that gorgeous dress on the red carpet, Robert Pattinson and Amanda Seyfried presenting, the affable young cast of Slumdog, and Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens singing was so refreshing. They are all talented and beautiful and I loved their presence at the ceremony.

3. Could Hugh Jackman be any more charming and likable? That smile, that accent, that singing. Seriously! I must disagree with you though, Hugh....the musical is not BACK. It never went anywhere! Are people just discovering the musical? Get with it!

4. Oh, Kate...so classy and lovely. I was so happy to see her win for The Reader. Yes, I cried when she won.

5. Speaking of The Reader, was it a rule that Oscar nominees had to be the most depressing movies of all time this year? I mean, Revolutionary Road? (PS Leo totally got snubbed for his incredible performance, by the way.) The Reader? Rachel Getting Married? The Wrestler? I wanted to kill myself after watching these movies. The characters were horrible, selfish, pathetic, or heartbreaking....do you know how much I enjoyed watching Confessions of a Shopaholic last week? It was the first time in weeks I left a movie theater with a smile.

6. Michelangelo's design at the Capitoline in Rome was the influence for the design of the stage floor. Nicely done! Can you really go wrong with Michelangelo? MichelangeNO....

7. Ben Stiller made me very uncomfortable with his super awkward Joaquin Phoenix impression. Having to watch Jennifer Aniston present awards right in front of Angie and Brad also made me cringe a little for her. Awk-ward...

8. Slumdog Millionaire's cast and crew are the most beautiful people ever. I am so glad this movie was honored last night. And I am so very glad that Josh Pease made me see it at 10pm in Irvine after a five hour seminary class waaay before anyone had even heard about it. ("Wait, what's it called?" "Slumdog Millionaire. It's going to win a bunch of Oscars. Trust me." "What's it about?" "I don't know." "Okay, fine.") Trust him.

9. Mickey Rourke was totally robbed of an Oscar. He wore a picture of his recently deceased dog around his neck. How could he have been denied even a sympathy vote? But seriously, his performance was the single most memorable I have seen this Oscar season. Rourke was robbed.

10. I adored the dresses this year. Yes, I endured hours of awkward Ryan Seacrest red carpet interviews ("I can smell you!" he told Evan Rachel Wood. Really, Ryan?) but it was worth it. I don't recall a single over-the-top ensemble, weirdly themed outfit, or swan gown. For the most part, the ladies were so lovely and fun to watch...I loved Kate's and Natalie's dresses. My least favorite? Probably Tilda Swinton's weird beige gown (gown? potato sack?) while she presented.

Best Oscars in a looong time...

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

This years event was a WINNER! For sure! I agree with every one of your comments! Fantastic show--Hugh is beautiful and OH so perfect on stage. Angelina and Brad...poor Jennifer. I thought Ben Stiller was funny...at first...then it just dragged.
The musical numbers were fantastic!!
And, Tilda, tho a great actress, is no star. You have to at LEAST wear mascara for that right!