Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hip Hop Hooray!

Lauren and I saw High School Musical the tour last night. She made me break my “no jeans at the theater rule” but, shockingly, we weren’t underdressed. The average age of the audience was, maybe, ten. And that might have bothered me had I not had SO much fun!

First of all, I would just like to say that I have seen dozens of musicals and actually have pretty high standards for them, lest you be thinking I’m a twit for liking HSM so much. My favorites are Phantom of the Opera, Rent, Jersey Boys, and Wicked. I really want to see Spring Awakening. I just saw My Fair Lady a few weeks ago, and as much as I love the story, the music, and the movie, it was a three-hour snoozefest.

That being said, this production was great. It’s exactly what I hoped for. I love the songs. I loved Sharpay and Ryan. They definitely stole the show. The cast was super talented and with great dancing, singing, sparkly and fun costumes, and all that bubblegum pep, how could I not have enjoyed this slick Disney production? The guy who played Troy was adorable, they shot streamers out during the finale (boy, the kids loved those! They went nuts!), and the kids in the audience were singing along--they were adorable. It was a really fun night!

And don't worry--I promise I won't blog about High School Musical for a while.

Next on my list—The Sound of Music, in London next week!

1 comment:

Allison said...

I love London! Have so much fun...seriously, I'm jealous...