Friday, May 9, 2008

Atlanta: The World of Coca-Cola

What's a visit to Atlanta without hitting the World of Coca-Cola? Coke was invented in Georgia in 1885. The company's headquarters are here and every restaurant in the area serves Coke...no need to ask about Pepsi products...YES! Coke is SO MUCH BETTER than Pepsi!


You'd be hard-pressed to find another product as universal as Coca-Cola. Coke is sold in over 200 countries! And it's a registered trademark that should always include the hyphen.


Here are some Coke products from around the world. Coke wasn't canned until 1955. I've loved old movies since I was a kid, and all I saw in movies were Coke bottles. So for my birthday parties, my parents would buy Coke in glass bottles for me and my friends and it was the biggest deal to me.



John Pemberton, who invented the first Coca-Cola recipe, claimed that it cured many diseases, including headaches and morphine addiction. Actually, I can vouch for the headache claim.



The 4D show here, "In Search of the Secret Formula," made me realize that except for the Muppet 3D show at Disney's California Adventure, I am not a fan of shows that require 3D glasses. I do not recommend the show here. (Oh, and what is 4D, you ask? Shaking, jolting chairs, wind, and water squirting in your face. Not cool. NOT cool.)



If this advertising doesn't make you want to drink Coke, I don't know what will.



My favorite part of the World of Coca-Cola was a special Pop Art exhibit with original Andy Warhol works on loan from the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh. I LOVE Andy and seeing his art always makes me so happy =)


At the end of the tour, you can taste weird-flavored soft drinks from all over the world (DON'T drink the one called "Beverly," whatever you do! Disgusting!), as well as tons of different flavors of Coke. Then we grabbed our bottles of Coke and went on our merry (and caffeinated) way. YaY Coke! YaY Atlanta!!

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

So so so cool!! Love all those bottles!
Take me out to the ballgame Lisa! Let me know when!